From Bedrooms to Billions
From Bedrooms to Billions is a 150 minute feature length documentary movie telling the remarkable, true story of the British Video Games Industry from 1979 to the present day.
Developments in computer technology in the UK of the late 70’s early 80’s helped inspire a generation of small team enthusiasts, hobbyists, school kids, bedroom coders and entrepreneurs to make and release some truly classic games.
From Bedrooms to Billions tells the story of how the creativity and vision of a relatively small number of individuals allowed the UK to play a key, pioneering role in the shaping of the billion dollar video games industry, which today dominates the modern world’s entertainment landscape.
From Bedrooms to Billions is the first to attempt to bring this amazing story together. Featuring interviews with key contributors to the UK story such as Peter Molyneux, Jeff Minter, David Braben, David Perry, Mark Healey and many others from across video game development, publishing and journalism from over the last 40 years, combined with compelling archive. From Bedrooms to Billions reveals some of the remarkable stories, struggles and successes that saw the UK video games industry go from quite literally nothing into a major force littered with original thinkers, innovators and eccentric characters. The film takes you on a wonderful journey through those early 8 bit years,the transition into the 16 bit era and PC, the influence of the Japanese and American consoles and the availability of finance, right through to the present day of triple A games, indie development and the future.
From Bedrooms to Billions is regarded as the most comprehensive and thorough video game documentary ever created and is essential viewing for anyone interested in video games, either as a player or as a creator.
Includes The Making of Manic Miner & The Making of Elite (short version)
Special Features (Special Edition only)
160mins of Special Features.
- Making of Manic Miner
- Making of Elite (short version)
- Jeff Minter – Making Games and Sheep in Space
- Geoff Crammond – Developing ‘The Sentinel’
- Fred Gray – Composing for the Commodore 64
- Jon Ritman – Making ‘Head Over Heels’
- Peter Harrap – Creating ‘Wanted: Monty Mole’
- Jez San – Teaching Nintendo 3D
- Geoff Crammond – From Super Invaders to REVS
- US GOLD – Signing off Michael Jackson’s ‘Moonwalker’
- Martin Edmondson – Creating ‘Shadow of the Beast’
- Peter Molyneux – POPULOUS and early games
- ROB HUBBARD – Composing for the Commodore 64
- David Braben – Creating ELITE (extended version)
- Mike Montgomery – Bitmap Bros creating SPEEDBALL II
- Mel Croucher – Making DEUS EX MACHINA
- Jon Hare – Creating WIZBALL
- Jon Hare – Creating SENSIBLE SOCCER